[openbox] Gnome 3 shell

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Sat Jun 4 01:55:48 EDT 2011

Jeremy Nickurak <jeremy at nickurak.ca> writes:

> You can use openbox with gnome3's "fallback" mode if you like. That's
> the traditional gnome setup of a panel, nautilus, and usually
> metacity, but you can swap out openbox there, just like you could with
> gnome2.

Yes, that's one thing I tried. The only way I could get openbox in was
to replace /usr/bin/gnome-shell by (a link to) openbox. There must be a
better way.

I my old setup I did use the gnome panel, for menus, applets,
notification and so on, but the new gnome panel is next to useless, and
seem to lack the possibility to configure it.

I'm really surprised to find that the Gnome3 shell is not suitable for
any serious use.

-- Johan