[openbox] GrowToEdge* / MoveToEdge* hidden grid

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Wed Feb 2 00:13:10 EST 2011

Andrew Gallant wrote:

> You could check out pytyle[1] or pytyle2[2]. (The latter is a bit more
> unstable.) They both provide tiling functionality for Openbox, which
> might be what you want.
>
> [1] - http://pytyle.com
> [2] - https://code.google.com/p/pytyle/

The *ToEdge* actions with a custom grid would allow the user to effectively
tile certain windows while leaving others on the same desktop untiled. That can
be done in PyTyle too, but it requires configuration to exclude windows from
the layout when tiling is enabled.

Given that I use the *ToEdge* actions frequently, I think this would be a very
useful feature.

How would it be configured? Would it be limited to edges that begin and end at
the desktop's borders, or would it be possible to have edges that end on other
edges to give more complicated layouts?

Maybe something along the lines of

<grid id="foo">
<edge id="vert_div" from="top_border" to="bottom_border" position="50%" />
<edge id="hor_div" from="vert_div" to="right_border" position="400px" />
</grid>

where "position" would be measured along the "from" edge.

If the configuration is simple enough, it shouldn't be difficult to write an
application to let the user draw the edges. I'm not actually proposing that you
create such an application. I'm just thinking about the possibility.

Maybe "ObGridmaker"...

Regards,
Xyne