[openbox] Fullscreen and window layers problem

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Tue Aug 30 12:21:04 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 7:13 PM, arcasys <mail at arcasys.de> wrote:

> **
> Hi folks,
> I'm new to the list and I'm using openbox since quite a while for a Java
> based POS system (POSper).
> I like openbox for being  so lightweight and easy to configure.
> Now here's the problem:
>
> The Java application POSper can run in window mode (but using the full
> screen resolution or in fullscreen mode. In openbox it's configured to run
> without window decorations.
> The system uses a touchscreen, no keyboard, no mouse.
> For occasional keyboard input, a virtual keyboard (xvkbd) can be started
> from the application. In openbox it's configured
> to appear at a defined position and on top.
> If I start POSper in window mode everything is fine: the keyboard pops up
> and I can enter input.
> But if I start POSper in fullscreen mode the virtual keyboard never appears
> on top although it's running.
>
> Why can' I just stay with fullscreen mode then? Because, depending on the
> monitor used, it can happen that a user inadvertently touches a border of
> the window
> and wipes it out of position and it's near to impossible to bring it back.
>
> So I'm in a dilemma: I can either keep the application window stable in
> place and have no virtual keyboard available or I can have the keyboard but
> risk moving the application window.
>
> I'd be grateful for any idea how to bring the  virtual keyboard on top even
> when the Java application is in fullscreen mode.

There was some discussion of this issue on the wmspec mailing list also.
 Fullscreen windows are required to be above all other unrelated windows.

A solution for this problem that was suggested there is to have the keyboard
window adjust its parent to whatever window currently has focus.  That may
not help you, but we're unable to stick the keyboard above a fullscreen
window without that, and without being noncompliant with the specification
(and breaking other things).