[openbox] Two x displays (not xinerama) support

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Mon Aug 8 22:11:48 EDT 2011

On Jul 18, 2011, at 3:34 AM, Mikael Magnusson wrote:

> On 18 July 2011 01:27, Freddie <freddie_signup at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Jul 2011, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
>>>
>>> It's technically possible, but it doesn't mesh well with the wm-spec
>>> which openbox follows. Ie, any pagers and panels would be terminally
>>> confused about those windows, there is only a single 'which desktop is
>>> this window on' property per window, and one global 'which desktop is
>>> the user on' property on the root window. For this specific case,
>>> maybe you could simply mark all windows on monitor two as 'All
>>> Desktops'? Unless you also want to switch virtual desktop on monitor
>>> 2, but you didn't say that :).
>>
>> This is actually the conclusion I've come to. The next problem is finding
>> how to mark windows on monitor 2 as omnipresent, as so far I've only come
>> across "ToggleOmnipresent", which isn't quite what I want. Am I missing an
>> action/property?
>
> You're not, I was just sure there was one, but there isn't :). You
> could do some silly cludge in the master branch with the If action, to
> only call the toggle action if it isn't currently omnipresent, but it
> might be better to simply let you say "All" to the SendToDesktop
> action. However, if you're already using an applications rule to send
> a window to monitor 2, just make it omnipresent in that rule
> obviously. Is it a big problem that you press the key twice and can't
> tell if you already made it omnipresent or not?

I have looked into using the "If" action, now that it has been added to
the wiki.

However my version of openbox is v3.4.11.2 from the Fedora repository
so it is not available to me, and I am loathed to replace the package
with a personal version.  But looks like I'll need to.

The documentation does not list  "All" as a valid <to>..</to> action for
"SendToDesktop" action!  This was why I did not find it before.

Perhaps the docs need a small update.

Actually the docs previously used <desktop> instead of <to>!

In any case using <to> also does not work, presumably as it is also
a 'new' action.

Hmmm something that is wierd though...

On a window on one desktop...
  obxprop _NET_WM_DESKTOP
  _NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 0
But on a window with 'All Desktops' that becomes
  obxprop _NET_WM_DESKTOP
  _NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 4294967295

Is that even a sensible value?

This is also equivelent to toggling OmniDesktop

Note this seems to only be an information properity whcih is used by non
window manager programs. Changing it does not change the windows
desktop, though it does change which desktop the 'pager' displays it
even though it isn't really on that desktop!

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>