[openbox] Running KDE apps in Openbox

Piscium groknok at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 04:59:54 EDT 2011

On 23 April 2011 21:07, Piscium <groknok at gmail.com> wrote:
> The autostart.sh script I am running has the following snippet:
>
> --------
> # Preload stuff for KDE apps
> if which start_kdeinit >/dev/null; then
>  LD_BIND_NOW=true start_kdeinit --new-startup +kcminit_startup &
> fi
>
> --------
>
> There are two issues with the above. The first is that start_kdeinit
> exists on my PC but is not on $PATH, so cannot be found. The second
> issue is that the version of start_kdeinit on my PC seems to have
> different options, as seen below:

With a bit more investigation, I found out that start_kdeinit gets put
on the $PATH (specifically in /usr/bin) if version 3 of the KDE Libs
is installed, and in fact there is at least on KDE application that
still uses KDE3 (Kivio).

However even with KDE 3 the options are different (no "
--new-startup") as seen below:

---------------
[xx at d3000 ~]$ start_kdeinit --help

Usage: kdeinit [options]
    --no-kded         Do not start kded
    --suicide         Terminate when no KDE applications are left running

--------------
My goal now is just to try some KDE applications, so I think I will
uninstall Kivio as I do not want to mix KDE 3 with KDE 4 apps.

In a nutshell, it appears that what is currently in autostart.sh (even
on the upstream tarball) applies to KDE 3 but probably should be
modified for KDE 4 which has been around for a few years already. Or
else settings for both KDE 3 and KDE 4 could be left in autostart.sh
clearly indicating which KDE version they apply to through comments.

But my previous question still stands (though slightly modified):
which options or environment variables should I call kdeinit4 with for
optimal operation of KDE 4 apps? I am not familiar at all with KDE and
just want to try a few apps out in Openbox, that is why I am asking
this.