[openbox] Focus between X displays

Simon Perry openbox at sanxion.net
Thu Sep 16 21:55:35 EDT 2010

Thanks heaps for the reply.

On 16/09/10, Dana Jansens wrote:

| If I were setting this up, I'd use
| twinview/xinerama/whatever-it's-called-these-days.  Then you could
| just alt-tab or whatever to other windows.

On screen 1, I have a fullscreen RDP session for work as I have to use
Outlook etc. When that screen "has focus", then it makes sense that
things like alt-tab work there and not globally.

I've tried all the combinations of TwinView etc, and I find that having
two separate X screens work the best for the setup I've described
(personal opinion of course).

| I don't quite understand the focus paradigm of "click to focus on all
| windows except one which has sloppy focus, and then turns sloppy focus
| on for one more focus switch".  Maybe you need some hooks and changing
| config options on the fly or something.. but this sort of thing can't
| be done directly I think with Openbox as it is right now.

I see. I guess it's just something I got used to with Matecity.

The main thing that is annoying is that the fullscreen RDP window on
screen 1 always steals focus, and I quite often forget to click-to-focus
when I move back to 0.

| If you have the monitors together as one screen, and Openbox is
| running on both, you could also use a "Unfocus" keybinding to move
| focus off the window in question.  There's lots of actions available
| that might help you out, but they don't work across separate X
| displays/screens.

I'll do some reading on this and perhaps reconsider my setup, cheers.

--
Simon Perry (aka Pezz)