[openbox] I don't like our bugzilla

Mithat Konar mithat_konar at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 18:24:14 EDT 2010

About a year and a half ago, I started looking around for a bug tracking
solution for a tiny project I was starting. What follows are some notes I took
at the time. A year and a half is an eternity in s/w development, so who knows
how valid this still is. But I thought it might still be useful.

* The Bug Genie *
Comprehensive. A little too comprehensive. Before anyone can submit a bug, a
product needs to be set up with a version, a build, etc.etc.etc. Looks and feels
good though.

* eTraxis *
Makes pretty metrics graphs and (I think) nice change logs. UI not so inviting.
Last release was May 30 2009 and previous releases were about once every two
weeks. I have no idea what’s happened between May 30 and July 13 (today).

* Eventum *
From the MySQL people. Seems very straight. Last update was January 20th 2009,
and updates are slowing noticeably. PHP 4.1.0 is give as a requirement … no
indication if PHP 5 breaks it.

* Flypray *
A bit simple (no built-in changelogs) but seems easy to use. The UI is almost
inviting. Last update was 01 May 2009 with previous updates about 2x a year.

* Mantis Bug Tracker *
Produces changelog and roadmap. UI a tiny but more inviting than eTraxis. Last
release was Jun 08 2009 with previous releases about two months apart.

Of the bunch, I thought Flyspray was the best bet, not because of features but
because the interface didn't make you not want to use it. However, in the end, I
wasn't completely won over by any. Eventually, I just added the
DokuMicroBugTracker plugin to DokuWiki--which is okay for the teeeny tiny
project in question but not for something with more than, say, two contributors.

-M