[openbox] GNOME clock window disappears off screen

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Sat Oct 2 08:38:28 EDT 2010

   I had been presuming this was a GNOME clock bug, but I now don't know
whether it's a bug/presumption on the clock applet's part, or a bug in
openbox.

   It's a relatively simple test case:  I keep my GNOME clock (from the
gnome-panel package) on my *bottom* panel.  When I click it, the
calendar window comes up seemingly attached to the panel, above the
clock applet data.

   However, if it gets bigger while open (I open a previously closed
'Locations' section, or it adds appointments data having looked it up in
the background), the window extends downwards (as it's grown), covering
the applet and making it near impossible to close (by clicking on the
applet).

   Under metacity, when this calendar window grows, it seems to reattach
itself, so that it grows upwards.  I wonder whether this is because it's
"_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK".

   So the question is, is gnome-panel's clock erroneously relying upon
metacity-specific functionality, or is openbox supposed to watch out for
resizing 'dock' windows and relocate them accordingly?

--
[phoenix at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[phoenix at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature