[openbox] Patch: vim bindings for move/resize

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Mon Nov 29 12:55:34 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Brian Mattern <rephorm at rephorm.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Paul wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 11:08:36AM -0800, Brian Mattern wrote:
> > >Attached is a patch to add vim keybindings (hjkl) to keyboard move /
> > >resize operations.
> >
> > Not sure why this needs a patch - I'm using vimlike keybindings for move
> and resize that I defined in rc.xml...
>
> What exactly do you have defined?
>
> If you have separate keys bound do "MoveRelative" with different
> parameters, then this isn't what I want. (I already have W-{h,j,k,l}
> bound to DirectionalFocus*). I want one key press to start move (or
> resize) mode, and then be able to use hjkl instead of arrow keys to do
> the rest (which includes being able to use ctrl/shift to modify the
> size of the step). From looking at the code, I'm fairly sure that this
> isn't
> possible without a patch. If it is, then please by all means be a bit
> more helpful with your response and post an example.

You could use a chroot to enter a "move/resize mode".  It won't have all the
nice features of an interactive move/resize right now though.

The patch as it is won't work because it assumes a qwerty keyboard layout,
and that's a serious issue.  I would take a patch to add configurable
bindings for directions, which could control both the menu and move/resize
operations.

- Dana