[openbox] Openbox sometimes hangs, can be reproduced

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Wed May 12 14:40:25 EDT 2010

On 2010-05-12, at 7:11 AM, Donald Jenkins wrote:

> Hello!
> I have a question about Openbox.
> I'm using Openbox for some time, but later I experienced strange
> behavior: for example, if firefox hangs for a while (saves a file to
> network mounted resource via quick-save menu), openbox hangs too, I
> completely loose control over it until application return. If
> application hangs without focusing on application menu, all good.
> Otherwise, only global keys work (Ctrl-Alt-N), Alt-Tab don't work.
> It is not very annoying bug, but when machine under a network load it appears.
> Panel hangs too, but panel clock works.
> If possible, I can provide a video displaying bug.
> Sorry for my bad english.

Inside a menu like that, firefox has grabbed the keyboard (and probly mouse).  This prevents other applications from getting input. It's a condition of X Windows where an app can steal the input and hold onto it if it wishes.  And this is how GTK+ menus work.  Noone else can grab in the meantime or release it for firefox.

Dana