[openbox] Application matching on name, role, class, type

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Tue May 11 23:47:20 EDT 2010

On 2010-05-11, at 11:06 PM, Eric Bohlman wrote:

> (Reason for the questions is that I'm writing a graphical tool for Openbox application settings)
>
> Is there any difference between omitting an attribute on an <application> tag and setting it blank? e.g. does role="" match any role, or only a window without a role set?

role="" matches an empty role set by the application, or the case when no role is set.

> Also, it's mentioned that <position> is honored only if both x and y are set. Does this also apply to the <monitor> sub-element (i.e. can you specify a window's monitor without putting it at particular coordinates)?

Yes, it can be considered part of the x/y info, all or none.

> Finally, there's an error on the help:applications page: it mentions _OB_APP_TITLE instead of _OB_APP_ROLE.

Ah, that comes from the fact you can also match on title in our git development branch.  Thanks.  Actually found a couple bugs in obxprop while sorting that out :)

Lookin forward to seeing this app.

Dana