[openbox] Strange issue, x11 apps started by openbox, output problem.

Piotr Karbowski jabberuser at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 04:47:10 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:04 AM, Dana Jansens <dana at orodu.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 11:57:47PM +0100, Piotr Karbowski wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Piotr Karbowski <jabberuser at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > No luck, recompiled whole system (~800 packages) still the same issue
>> > with openbox. How can I debug it? gdb and fancy switches?
>>
>> If anyone interesed I did workaround, I use much gmrun (alt+f2) to
>> exec something, my openbox menu is empty. So I added wrapper to gmrun:
>>
>> % cat bin/gmrun
>> #!/bin/sh
>> exec /usr/bin/gmrun > /dev/null 2>&1
>>
>> and now, when I run for example psi from gmrun, it not abusing CPU. So
>> problem is that openbox have problem with handle output. I have latest
>> Xorg what can be found in gentoo ~arch, maybe there is problem?
>> Fluxbox amd Pekwm do not have any problems with it so it must be
>> openbox bug.
>
> It should work without this work-around in the latest version of Openbox, as we addressed this problem.  If you find it to be otherwise, please let us know.

I emerged x11-wm/openbox-3.4.7.2, x11-wm/openbox-3.4.10 and
x11-wm/openbox-3.4.11. In all I found this issue. I am sure that some
time ago it was working so it must be something with openbox depends
on system deps. Even if I start "xinit /usr/bin/openbox" I still have
this output-block. Openbox --debug can easy print to tty1 but not apps
started by openbox.