[openbox] [semi-OT] ANN: Clickity, a mouse-click accessibility tool for lightweight environments

Eric Bohlman ericbohlman at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 22 20:18:52 EDT 2010

Anthony Thyssen wrote:

> xmacro
> xautomation

These two (as well as xdotool) are for creating scripts/command-line
tools/key bindings for X11 automation. I'd use xte (from xautomation) or
xdotool if I were, say, creating Openbox key bindings for mouse
emulation. Clickity is for people who want to use the mouse buttons (or
in the case of dwell mode, don't) or an external switch (will be
supported in future versions.

> xvkdb

(actually xvkbd)
This is for simulating keyboard input via mouse input, and can be used
in conjunction with Clickity (e.g. for dwell-based clicking).

> xdotool

This one, of course, also provides window manager control as well as X11
auotmation. Great for use in scripts.

> Also macro execution tools like
> xbindkeys
> xhkeys
> xhotkeys
> xrebind

Those are all about keyboard automation, which Clickity doesn't concern
itself with.

Reminds me that I ought to revise OBHotkey to make it easier to nest
commands within keychains so that, say, W-s when first pressed calls
"xdotool mousedown 1" and when pressed again calls "xdotool mouseup 1
mousedown 2 mouseup 2" for keyboard cut-and-paste in terminals or the like.