[openbox] dead keys

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Tue Jun 15 10:21:59 EDT 2010

On 2010-06-14, at 10:25 PM, meino.cramer at gmx.de wrote:

> Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida at gmail.com> [10-06-15 03:55]:
>> I've been trying to migrate from KDE to OpenBox and I'm having
>> troubles with terminal emulators. I launch xterm from the menu or from
>> a shortcut. Dead keys are not working right: for example, pressing
>> acute+a shoud give á (a-acute); but I have to press "a" twice for the
>> output to appear.  Using urxvt is even worse; no dead keys at all.
>> Now, this is the really weird thing: if I launch an xterm from the CLI
>> (that is, from the badly behaved xterm window), a new xterm window
>> pops up in which dead keys behave as they should! Same for urxvt.
>> I use xmodmap (from the openbox autostart script) to customize my
>> keyboard. I know it works (other customized stuff besides dead keys
>> works as expected, even in the initial, badly behaved, xterm window).
>>
>> Thanks for any hint...
>>
>> Jorge Almeida
>>

> Hi Jorge,
>
> I think, you are calling xmodmap too late. Move the according
> commandline from the autostart script into you personal
> $HOME/.xinitrc file and restart X (logout X->login X)
> Good luck!
> HTH!
> Best regards,
> mcc

The autostart script is run before Openbox is, for ob 3.4.x.  So moving it to .xinitrc should have no effect... I'd like to know if otherwise, as it is expected to work.  To me it sounds like you run something in your shell's init scripts (.bash_profile/.bashrc), so that things run from terminals behave differently than things run from Openbox.  Let us know when you get it going right.

Dana