[openbox] XDG

Paul openboxml023478 at rainslide.net
Sun Jul 11 08:47:25 EDT 2010

I don't use any 'desktop environment' - just Openbox with some KDE applications once in a while. When I do 'xdg-open <URL>', it pops up Firefix with the URL loaded in it. However, I cannot find a way to make it use Opera instead.

When I do 'xdg-settings --list', I get:

Known properties:
   default-web-browser           Default web browser

However, when I do 'xdg-settings get default-web-browser', I get:

xdg-settings: unknown desktop environment

(I get the same when I try 'xdg-settings set default-web-browser opera.desktop'.)

Since xdg-open is meant to be used within a DE, I thought it might pick up any KDE settings that I might have, but I've already made sure that my default browser according to KDE's systemsettings is Opera.

So obviously xdg-open does work outside a DE, it's just I can't find how to change its settings :-/  Any help?

--

.