[openbox] obconf installation issue

Erik Iverson eriki at ccbr.umn.edu
Wed Feb 3 10:44:50 EST 2010

Hello -

<snip>

> You did find the answer, Linux looks for dynamicly-linked shared
> libraries via the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  So you do need to set it to run
> obconf.  Openbox doesn't need it because of some libtool magic during
> the compile process, that lets it find them at runtime.  Just think of
> it as like your PATH variable, which you need to set to be able to run
> obconf without specifying the full path.

I actually just figured out how to 'properly' do this, per this web
site, http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Admin/ld-lib-path.html.  I simply set
LD_RUN_PATH to ~/lib before the configure/make process.  Then ldd
reports the proper path to the libob* libraries, and obconf happily
runs, without any extra environment variables set.

Thanks for the reply explaining how openbox does this automatically,
that's good to know.

Best,
Erik Iverson