[openbox] screen edge works

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Wed Aug 25 19:27:00 EDT 2010

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:27:20 +0300
Alexey Korop <akorop at gmail.com> wrote:
| Hi, All
|
|     In mikachu/openbox.git appeared a very interesting opportunity to
| work with the edges of the screen (wip/edges branch). In this regard, I
| have the question and the wish.
|
|     The question: How to use it? In the initial rc.xml I did not find
| examples of binding to these events.
|
|     And the wish. I propose to introduce another class of events on the
| edges of the screen: a quick mouse hitting on the edge, without
| clicking. If the mouse moves slowly or stops at the edge, this should
| not lead to the generation of this event. But if the mouse touch the
| edge after the rapid movement, this event should be generated. I like to
| use it to clickless desktop switching in the Filebar DE under operating
| system OS/2.
|
| Yours truly Alexey

If you do implement this I would also include a 'turn off edges'
lock key.  It can be important in some situations to prevent
the mouse switching desktops, such as when drawing (or playing a game).

I myself use multiple desktops, but I also use multiple computers
from the one keyboard mouse.   For the latter I use 'synergy'
which allows me to move the mouse of my current display to the display
of a completely different computer!

In synergy turning on/off NumLock will lock the mouse into one computer
display or another.  A useful thing.

The idea of using the same 'switch' for desktop switching on single
machines is a nice one.   I could go left and right for computer
switching and up and down for desktop switching.

Speed of the mouse is NOT an issue.  If I move slowly I still want the
control to switch.  Though the same pause for desktop switch that
happens if I draw windows left and right (to different desktops, not
computers) would be useful.

Actually I hadn't realised until this moment that left-right window
drag to different desktops works perfectly with synergy with left and
right computer display switching.  The former overriding the latter!

I can't even find bindings for window drag desktop switch, so they must
be just 'built in', and works seamlessly.  Perhaps that same technique
(with option to turn it off for synergy use) could be used for what you
want!

Better still if openbox and synergy can interact, numlock could be used
to determine if it is a  pause-desktop switch  or a  seamless-computer
switch when the mouse hits the left or right edge.

Window drag however only makes sense with pause-desktop switch.

But window drag to multi-heads up display of a single computer!
Now we are getting into a very complex realm!

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>