[openbox] Openbox + flightgear

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Aug 14 17:06:44 EDT 2010

Yan Seiner wrote:
> I am trying to build an "appliance" that runs flightgear
> (flightgear.org) among other things. Flightgear is a flying simulator.
>
> I seem to be getting hit with a triple whammy:
>
> I am trying to play fg on a large screen TV, which has significant
> overscan.  Something like 60 pixels disappear from the top left corner.
>
> I can specify the correct size using the --geometry option in
> flightgear but that does not allow me to set the position, just the
> size, so I lose the top left corner of the image.   Flightgear does
> not recognize the HxW+X+Y format for geometry; it ignores the X+Y offset.
>
> I can configure openbox to override an application's "wishes" and set
> its size and location, but I need the WM_CLASS property set.  Alas, fg
> doesn't set the WM_CLASS property, just the WM_NAME property.  I don't
> think openbox allows me to id windows by WM_NAME.
>
> I've tried the --prop option on the off-chance that it might help but
> it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the window properties.
>
> Is anyone else in this boat?  How do I position the fg window in a
> specific location on the screen and not just in the top left corner?

A slight bit of progress:

I can add the WM_CLASS property with xprop:

xprop -name FlightGear -f WM_CLASS 8s -set WM_CLASS FlightGear

And then restart openbox:

openbox --restart

and the flightgear window loses its decorations and everything - except
that it doesn't move.  Here's the pertinent section from the rc.xml file:

  <application name="FlightGear">
          <decor>no</decor>
          <shade>no</shade>
          <position force="yes">
                  <x>center</x>
                  <y>140</y>
                  <monitor>1</monitor>
          </position>
          <focus>yes</focus>
          <desktop>1</desktop>
          <layer>above</layer>
          <iconic>no</iconic>
          <skip_pager>no</skip_pager>
          <skip_taskbar>no</skip_taskbar>
          <fullscreen>no</fullscreen>
          <maximized>false</maximized>
  </application>

Everything happens except for moving the window.  It loses its
decorations, moves on top, gets focus - and stays right where it is.
It's like the position thing is being ignored.

--

   o__