[openbox] openbox vs. fluxbox

Freddie freddie_signup at gmx.co.uk
Sat Apr 3 09:46:12 EDT 2010

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Christian wrote:

> OK, speaking of this, I have a question about this rc.xml
> I used this file to save some applications settings that work just fine.
> Now I wanted to add a rule for my webbrowser to appear on Desktop 2 just the way I did it for other programs and
> +Desktop 3.
>
> I even copied the code and just replaced the application - without success.
>
> xprop gives me these info about the window - I thought I should identify it via role and/or class:
>
> WM_WINDOW_ROLE(STRING) = "browser"
> WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Navigator", "Iceweasel"
>
> my rc.xml looks like that:
>
> <application cole="browser">
>       <desktop>2</desktop>
> </application>
>

> reconfigure/restart of openbox does not help - what am I missing here?

The point you're missing is that Firefox is a pain in the <cough>. It
launches with one name and class and then changes it soon after (hence the
name and class xprop reports not working), I can't say about role as I've
never successfully used it with firefox.

In my rc.xml

<application class="Firefox*">
   <desktop>3</desktop>
</application>

works to catch it and put it on desktop three and

<application class="Firefox*" name="Navigator">
   <maximized>yes</maximized>
   <focus>no</focus>
</application>

catches the main window (along with a few others).

If you find out the role tag of the main window let me know.

Freddie