[openbox] conky and hotmail

Parminder Gupta gupta.parminder at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 10:00:45 EDT 2009

Roelof Wobben wrote:
> Hello Anthony,
>
> Thank you, but my idea was to use Conky for it.
>
> Roelof
>

> > Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:43:09 +1000
> > From: A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
> > To: openbox at icculus.org
> > Subject: Re: [openbox] conky and hotmail
> >
> > On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:56:04 +0000
> > Roelof Wobben <rwobben at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > | Hello,
> > |

> > | Does anyone have a good script for monotering my hotmail account.
> > |
> > | I only need a message that there are ew emails.
> > |
> > Pidgin can do this as part of its instant messaging against either
> > Hotmail (MSN) or GMail (XMPP) Accounts.
> >

> > Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer ) <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>

Hi Roelof,

There is a perl script called "gotmail"
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/gotmail/) which fetches emails from
Hotmail server. This program can download those emails to a mbox type
mailbox which you can use conky's built in function to poll every x
minutes. I's been a while since I played with gotmail (stopped using
hotmail), but if memory servers it has options to download only new
email/email-headers from hotmail.

To summarize, you can run gotmail as a cron job every 10 mins and have
conky check your mailbox every 10 min to get you the results you want.

~ Parminder