[openbox] pipe menus

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Fri Sep 18 18:03:40 EDT 2009

> I am having great difficulty trying to use a pipe menu in  OpenBox.
>
> I inserted the line the script suggested --
>
> <menu execute="~/.config/openbox/scripts/sysinfo.sh" id="sysinfo-menu" label="SysInfo"/>
>
> into menu.xml (by hand as the openbox menu editor doesn't have provisions for that
> line.
> But then the menu won't load. I suspect something is missing like an item
> which is supposed to receive the piped information ??
>
> Thanks

Do you mean that you cannot see the menu entry where you expect it or
do you mean that it shows up but fails to display the pipe menu itself?

In the former case, where did you insert that line in menu.xml? I'm
assuming that you want to add it to the root menu (as opposed to making
it a stand-alone menu bound to a key combination)l

In that case you can do one of two things:
1) place the "<menu... />" line between the opening and closing menu
tags of your root menu.
2) add the line '<menu id="sysinfo-menu" />' between the opening and
closing menu tags of your root menu.

Note that the second option is just a way to insert a
previously-declared menu in the given location. You can use that to
display the same menu in several different places.

If you can actually see the pipe-menu entry where you expect it but not
the menu itself, then the output of
"~/.config/openbox/scripts/sysinfo.sh" is probably incorrectly
formatted.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Xyne