[openbox] Making openbox to start new windows on parent desktop.

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Thu Oct 22 12:24:46 EDT 2009

2009/10/22 Piotr Karbowski <jabberuser at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Anthony Thyssen
> <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au> wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 23:18:46 +0200
>> Piotr Karbowski <jabberuser at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> | Hi! I have problem with setting openbox, there is possible to set that
>> | new windows start on parent-window desktop? For example, when I on
>> | desktop3 open terminal and type "sleep 5 && audacious", ran it and
>> | switch to desktop1 audacious will start on desktop3 but not on
>> | desktop1? With firefox I have configured to start always on desktop2
>> | and every dialog window, file save prompt etc are only on desktop2,
>> | even when I on other desktop.
>> |
>> | I hope you can understand me.
>> |
>> There are a number of ways and which way depends on how you use openbox.
>>

>> I for example have it set as the windowmanager for Gnome.
>> For other clients I asked gnome to run a 'client startup script' from
>> the 'session Preferences.
>>
>>  Name: Personal Session
>>  Command:  bash .xgnome.extra
>>  Comment:  Start some extra applications
>>
>> The ".xgnome.extra" file then starts my initial xterm windows
>> (I am a programmer!)  firefox, with default geometry and uses 'xwit'
>> to auto-iconify it once launched,  my mail program,  etc...
>

> I using standalone openbox.
> I think you dont understand me, for example my 'quick run' is a gmrun,
> I binded it for control-alt-R and when I run it on desktop4 and run in
> it oowriter I want to be able switch to desktop1 and force openoffice
> to start on desktop4, where was parrent window (gmrun).

It's possible if gmrun uses the startup-notification protocol when
launching the app, and the app supports it.  Then the app will appear
on the desktop it was launched from.  I don't know how gmrun plays
with that protocol tho.  GTK+ should support it fine however, on the
OO end.  So if it doesn't just work, I'm guessing its either compiled
out of openbox, or not being used by gmrun.  You can do the same with
the openbox menu tho[1].

Dana

[1] hhttp://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Help:Actions#Startup_notification