[openbox] GrowToEdge actions should not shrink, should ignore window size hints

chombee chombee at lavabit.com
Sat Oct 3 19:24:42 EDT 2009

Playing with openbox's GrowToEdge[North|East|South|West] actions. I
noticed that if I do a GrowToEdgeNorth, for example, and the window
cannot grow any further north, then it will shrink from its bottom edge
instead. This is highly unexpected!

Unexpected behaviour one: there is some space above my terminal window,
but not enough for the terminal to grow by the height of one row of
characters, and since openbox follows the terminal's window-size hint it
cannot grow the window any further, trying to grow the terminal upwards
will actually shrink it from the bottom even though there is visible
empty space above the terminal window.

Unexpected behaviour two: I try to implement a "Fill" action by having a
keybind that executes all four of the GrowToEdge actions in turn, so the
window will fill the space available to it without overlapping any other
windows. This, along with FillHorizontal and FillVertical actions, seems
to me like it would be a really useful shortcut. However, I believe
becuase of this shrink behaviour, the results are bizarre and confusing.
Try it.

I think the Grow actions would be much easier to use if they just grew,
and if they can't grow any further then just do nothing! Shrink actions
could be implemented as separate actions. It'd be nice if the actions
had an option to ignore window-size hints from terminal apps also, so
you don't get these little gaps.