[openbox] how about xdg-autostart being able to order .desktop execution

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Mon Nov 2 15:24:13 EST 2009

Hi Ted,

2009/11/2 Xavier Toth <txtoth at gmail.com>:
> I'm using idesk with openbox and starting it with a desktop file in
> /etc/xdg/autostart. idesk will put desktop icon on top of other
> windows unless I start it last. I was thinking about something like
> xinitrc.d where the files are sorted before execution.

I think that's a really nice idea, but I do see some problems.  First
if there is an order specified, then every application adding things
to autostart needs to pick a number somehow, and they may all just
pick the same one since it is an independent choice.  Second, all the
autostart apps are launched asynchronously, since they are not
expected to ever exit, thus there is no way to know when to launch the
second one, compared to the first one, and so on.  So at what point
does the last one begin execution exactly?

You said that idesk must be run last, you can delay it by running a
script which "wait"s a few seconds before running idesk.  It's a hack
to work around idesk, but that might help.  I'm not sure what a
solution would look like to properly order the autostart system.

Dana