[openbox] setxkbmap & openbox shortcuts

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Sun Jun 21 22:35:07 EDT 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:57:46 +0300
Dmitry Baryshev <ksquirrel.iv at gmail.com> wrote:

| Hello guys. I have some shortcuts configured in rc.xml file. They work
| fine. But after using setxkbmap:
|
| # setxkbmap us,ru -model pc105 -option grp:ctrl_shift_toggle
|
| openbox shortcuts stop working. Why? It there a way to force them to
| work again? Thanks!

More than likely the key symbols that were assigned to your special
shortcut keys were modified by "setxkbmap"

You can use xev to see all the X window events generated by various key
presses in its window.   Look at the codes and symbols before running
the above command, with after running it.

You can fix the symbol names of the keys using xmodmap.

Rather than "xev" you can also use "xbindkey --key" or "xbindkey
--multikey" to see what each key returns before and after.

For my notes on adding Keyboard macros (keys that when pressed
type a pre-prepared string into whatever the current input window is),
see

X window Event Handling
  http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/info/X/Event_Handling.txt

For example I press 'windows-F1'  and I type my Email Address into
what ever input box is waiting for it  (often a fill in form)
Or I press 'windows-F2' and I get the start of my persona web page URL
such as I did for the above link.

VERY handy!

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>
  The members of the Guild of Assassins considered themselves cultured
  men who enjoyed good music and food and literature.  And they knew the
  value of human life.  To a penny, in many cases.
                                       -- Terry Pratchett, "HogFather"