[openbox] New user - openbox 3.4 - two questions

David Feldman wb0gaz at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 11 18:20:06 EDT 2009

I'm using Openbox 3.4 with xorg and have a couple of basic questions. My
project involves manually controlling the layout of the display screen so
that every program runs with -geometry specification.

1. Openbox is re-positioning a window of one application (xv) where I
specified in the -geometry parameter (of xv) that the window would be along
the top of the X display area (that is, -geometry +400+0, for example, where
+0 means "top"). The window ends up maybe 20 pixels down from the top of the
screen - it initially starts at the top of the screen, then seems to be
immediate relocated vertically down this way. I can start xterm displays
successfully this way (aligned to the top of the screen) but with xv I get
this unexpected repositioning. I tried editing ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml, to
change the section <resize><popupShow> from Nonpixel to Never, but that was
basically a guess and it didn't help.

2. I am interested in finding a task bar or similar utility to use with
openbox. I'd like to find something that lets me navigate among open windows
by a mouse click, rather than alt-TAB which I'm now using. The catch is I'm
looking for something that avoids library dependencies to the extent
possible - several such utilities I tried had unresolved (.so) dependencies
and in my application, I'm trying to minimize these dependencies because
they can lead to "dependency hell" where I am chasing for too long various
libraries-needed-by-other-libraries and such. Any suggestion?

Thanks very much, and other than these two challenges, finding openbox to be
very useful indeed.

Dave