[openbox] XEmacs has lost its icons, help get them back, please

Mikael Magnusson lists at bak.och.fr.am
Mon Jan 26 09:45:46 EST 2009

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Krzysztof Kotlenga wrote:

> Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>
>> I recently upgraded from 3.3.1 to 3.4 on a Scientific Linux box, no
>> desktop, just XOrg + openbox and pypanel.  Now my XEmacs windows have
>> the undistinguished window icon instead of the nice XE icon they had
>> before.  I see from the upgrade docs that this is a 'feature', but it
>> feels like a regression to me -- XEmacs certainly thinks it is
>> establishing an icon, what's going wrong?  Is there a workaround?
>
> A few weeks ago we did an investigation with Mikael on IRC and this
> behavior happens because XEmacs sets its icon property too late - after
> OB sets its own and caches it, thus never rediscovers the correct one.
> AFAIK, one possible workaround is to disable icon cache (code change).
>
> Last time we talked, it wasn't known who abuses ICCCM here, OB or
> XEmacs :-(

I'm not completely sure that was our conclusion, did you check if it sets
an old style icon and all that too?

I also don't know what part of the release notes say "we will now break
all your icons". It is also somewhat unclear if openbox showed the xemacs
icon before the upgrade, or only the panel?

--
Mikael Magnusson