[openbox] Openbox crashing with 24 bit video

Mithat Konar mithat_konar at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 14:57:05 EST 2009

It certainly seems to be a driver issue ... but it's still strikes me as strange that OB is the only WM that's complaining.

Here's what I've done:

1. I tried Lenny+Openbox under VirtualBox and started the session with 24 bit depth. No problems.

2. I then went back to my QEMU install and invoked QEMU with the -std-vga option. No problem with 24 bits. FWIW, QEMU supposedly emulates a Cirrus Logic GD5446 Video card by default. Also, the author recommends 16 bit video on both the host and the guest (http://bellard.org/qemu/qemu-doc.html#TOC50).

Now the only problem I'm having is getting either VirtualBox or QEMU with -std-vga to display at a resolution less than gigantic. But that's a subject for another forum. :-)

-M