[openbox] No focus if skip_taskbar=yes

Andras Fink andreas.fink85 at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 28 02:00:44 EDT 2009

On Friday 28 August 2009 07:12:29 Anthony Thyssen wrote:
> I have an application usign skip_taskbar...
>
>     <application class="Gkrellm">
>       <decor>no</decor>
>       <desktop>all</desktop>
>       <skip_taskbar>yes</skip_taskbar>
>     </application>
>
> If I click on the application and press F1 then the configuration pops up
> so it obviously gets the keyboard focus!!!!
>
> Similarly for pressing buttons or other actions.
>

> It may be that your 'global window' event handling is not right...
>
> I have...
>   <mouse>
>     <context name="Client">
>       <mousebind button="Left" action="Press">
>         <action name="Focus"/>
>       </mousebind>
>       <mousebind button="Middle" action="Press">
>         <action name="Focus"/>
>       </mousebind>
>       <mousebind button="Right" action="Press">
>         <action name="Focus"/>
>       </mousebind>
>       <mousebind button="Left" action="Release">
>         <action name="Focus"/>
>       </mousebind>
>       <mousebind button="Middle" action="Release">
>         <action name="Focus"/>
>       </mousebind>
>       <mousebind button="Right" action="Release">
>         <action name="Focus"/>
>       </mousebind>
>     </context>
>   </mouse>
>
> To try and ensure my 'focus follows mouse' type configuration works
> properly, but don't raise the window.
>
> The default rc.xml has extra 'raise' actions, and no button release
> events.
>
>   <context name="Client">
>     <mousebind button="Left" action="Press">
>       <action name="Focus"/>
>       <action name="Raise"/>
>     </mousebind>
>     <mousebind button="Middle" action="Press">
>       <action name="Focus"/>
>       <action name="Raise"/>
>     </mousebind>
>     <mousebind button="Right" action="Press">
>       <action name="Focus"/>
>       <action name="Raise"/>
>     </mousebind>
>   </context>
>

> NOTE: There is a annoyance in that if a window opens or closes I may
> not be focused on the window my mouse is over!
>
> That is a real PAIN to a 'follow mouse' focus policy!
>

>   Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>

Hello,

I think you got it wrong. Of course I can give the application focus when I
click inside it, but it does not have the focus from the beginning. Here is
what I want to do:
urxvt -pe kuake'<F12>'
i.e. urxvt can be opened/closed with the F12 key, then I have this in my
rc.xml:
    <application name="urxvt">
      <desktop>all</desktop>
      <layer>above</layer>
      <decor>no</decor>
      <focus>yes</focus>
<!--      <skip_taskbar>yes</skip_taskbar> -->
      <skip_pager>yes</skip_pager>
      <maximized>Horizontal</maximized>
    </application>

This works fine, i.e. I have urxvt always on top, in the top-left corner,
horizontally maximized AND if i press F12 urxvt gets the keyboard focus on
opening.
However, if I uncomment the section <skip_taskbar>yes</skip_taskbar> urxvt
won't get the input focus if I press the key F12. Of course I can click with
the mouse inside the window and get the input focus, but the idea is, to have
a very quickly accessible terminal. I do not get the logic, why an
application, which I do not want to be in the taskbar cannot get the input
focus on opening (and no, I do not have focus follows mouse). I mean I have
completely the same system settings. I just do not want to have this
application in my taskbar and get the input focus on opening without the need
to click with the mouse inside it...
Side note: This can be reduced to skip_taskbar, so every other option can be
skipped in my example above, and the application can be replaced with every
other application.