[openbox] cannot get Openbox to start on Ubuntu 9.04

Jesús Guerrero i92guboj at terra.es
Sun Aug 9 14:44:06 EDT 2009

On Sun, August 9, 2009 20:18, Kacper Wysocki wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Schild,
> ChristianHelge<ChristianHelge.Schild at delaval.com> wrote:
>
>>> Are you certain that the xorg package you installed, also has the
>>> mouse "stuff"?
>>>

>> I thought the Ubuntu package comes with everything needed. I looked in
>> the Xorg.0.log (under/var/log, I will attach it) and found some lines
>> on "Macintosh mouse button emulation". I have a serial three button
>> Logitech mouse attached to COM1.
>>

> Hi, I have a suggestion: try configuring your mouse.
> X won't be useful without any input devices. Look at your Xorg.0.log:
>

> (II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
> (II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
> (II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
> If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable
> AllowEmptyInput.
>

> openbox's default mode does indeed start with a blank screen and a mouse
> pointer :-), and there is nothing in Xorg that will autodetect your serial
> mouse.

As his log says, Xorg is using hal/evdev to detect them. Newer xorg
releases have migrated to this odd hal/evdev combo, and can autodetect
input devices. In this case with very little fortune by the way.

> Your "CorePointer" section uses the device /dev/input/mice, a
> catch-all for PS/2 and USB - but not serial mice. Your mouse is probably at
>  /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1, and so your mouse section in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf needs to reflect this:
>

> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier	"Generic Serial Mouse"
> Driver		"mouse"
> Option		"Device"		"/dev/ttyS0"
> Option		"Protocol"		"Microsoft"
> Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
> Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
> EndSection
>

> You might have to play with the "protocol" to suit your serial mouse>
> try "logitech" or "mousesystems" or google it :-P
>
> Then you'll need to add your mouse to the X server layout (same file as
> above):
> Section "ServerLayout"
> InputDevice	"Generic Serial Mouse"
> [... other stuff..]
> EndSection
>

> your ubuntu might not ship with a ServerLayout in which case you need to
> make one, they look like this: Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier	"Default Layout"
> Screen		"Default Screen"
> InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
> InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"      # USB / PS/2 mouse, if you have it
> InputDevice	"Generic Serial Mouse" # your serial mouse
> EndSection
>

> ..where all the quoted parts refer to identifiers in the same file.
>

> The process of setting up a "minimal" system is a little more hands-on
> than the default bloat.
>
> Btw: looks like your keyboard ain't detected neither

This process
that you describe here will only work if you use AllowEmptyInput,
any other way it will be ignored, in favour of whatever hal/evdev says.
When hal is being used, this stuff is not configure in xorg.conf
but in the .fdi files.

Refer to my previous mail for further info.
--
Jesús Guerrero