[openbox] cannot get Openbox to start on Ubuntu 9.04

Schild, ChristianHelge ChristianHelge.Schild at delaval.com
Sat Aug 8 01:14:52 EDT 2009

Hello,

I installed Ubuntu 9.04 as a minimal system without a GUI. Then I added via aptitude the packages xorg (v1:7.4~5ubuntu18), openbox (3.4.7.2-3), openbox-themes (1.0.2), obconf (2.0.3-build1) und obmenu (1.0-1ubuntu1).

When I try to start Openbox from the commandline via openbox-session I get the error messages:

xsetroot: unable to oprn display ''
Openbox-Message: Couldn't set locale from environment.
Openbox-Message: Failed to open the display from the Display environment variable.

I then created a .xinitrd:

#!/bin/bash
exec openbox

and tried to use startx. That just gives me a black screen with a mouse arrow in the middle which is however not moving.

Has anybody a clue what is wrong here? The XServer or Openbox?

Thanks for any help,
Chris

"This is an e-mail from a DeLaval company. This e-mail is confidential
and may also be privileged. Please delete the email and notify us
immediately if you are not the intended recipient. DeLaval does not
enter into contracts or contractual obligations via electronic mail,
unless otherwise agreed in writing between parties concerned.
Thank you."