[openbox] Resize to multiples of size increments?

Kai Großjohann kai at emptydomain.de
Thu Sep 11 05:48:12 EDT 2008

Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
>> I'd like to create a keybinding to make a terminal 90 columns wide.  But
>> resizing to a width of 90 means to resize it to 90 pixels.
>>
>> Is there a way to specify 90 times the horizontal resize increment?
>
> I guess we're a little inconsistent here, the problem is that if you
> make the action do column/row resize, then that action/keybind is
> useless for normal windows, because they would end up tiny.
Well, hm.  Actually, I think I want to be able to specify in the action
whether I want to use resize increments.

This way, I can have a keybinding that says resize to width 90 columns
(and apply it to terminals) as well as another keybinding that says
resize to screen width/2 = 1680px/2 = 880px and apply it to any window,
terminal or not.

> That said, the resizerelative action does use the incr sizes, so you
> could do
> <keybind key="foo">
>  <action name="MoveResizeTo">
>   <width>1</width>
>  </action>
>  <action name="ResizeRelative">
>   <right>89</right>
>  </action>
> </keybind>
> I think.
That's cool!  I have to say 86 instead of 89 to get a 90 column window,
though.  Presumably, that's because of some minimum window size imposed
by gnome-terminal.  It's good that gnome-terminal didn't decide to show
0 columns when asked to resize to a width of 1 pixel :-)

Kai