[openbox] Gnome-terminal and xfce4-terminal leaving window artifacts

John Eikenberry jae at zhar.net
Mon Oct 27 21:54:01 EDT 2008

Richard Querin wrote:

> I'm running Openbox 3.4.6.1 along with the gnome settings daemon,
> pypanel and xcompmgr for window drop shadows.
>
> I find that dragging a gnome-terminal or xfce4-terminal window around
> leaves artifacts on the desktop. Turning off xcompmgr makes this go
> away. However, no other apps I use seem to leave artifacts and xterm
> for instance doesn't leave artifacts either.
>
> Any ideas where the problem might lie?
>
> I haven't used openbox in a while, but I don't remember having
> artifact problems with gnome-terminal before. I have installed and
> used Xfce4 in the past few months. Maybe something in xfce is still
> running which is causing the problem?

I also was experiencing something like this when using xcompmgr with the
'-c' option in combination with rxvt-unicode using its RGBA transparency
mode. I only had this problem when using the '-c' option.

After some experimentation what finally fixed it for me was to add the '-f'
option to the xcompmgr call.

Hope this helps.

--

John Eikenberry