[openbox] Can't focus borderless terminal

Mikael Magnusson lists at bak.och.fr.am
Wed Oct 22 15:10:50 EDT 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Scott Horowitz wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Mikael Magnusson <lists at bak.och.fr.am>wrote:
>
>> It's probably in override-redirect mode for some reason, which is not
>> openbox's fault. You can check with xwininfo,
>>  Override Redirect State: no
>>

> Indeed this appears to be true, it's in override redirect state. For what
> it's worth, here's an abridged copy of the conversation that I had with (one
> of?) the urxvt developers.
>
> 12:16  sasha| hmm, let me check if urxvt indeed uses OverrideRedirect to
> implement borderlesness
> 12:17  exg| it uses mwmhints and fallback to overrideredirect
> 12:32  sasha| stonecrest : I'm afraid you are out of luck, since apparently
> openbox does not support Motif hints, which forces urxvt to use
> overwrite-redirect, which, again, is not very well handled by openbox
> 12:32  sasha| so, no borderless term for you
> 12:33  stonecrest| sasha: why was this working with the previous xorg
> version though?
> 12:34  sasha| probably, just some luck. It is not guaranteed to work, and
> actually its more likely not to work then to work. It could even come down
> to the small changes in timing
> 12:35  sasha| say, new xorg maps windows a little faster or a little slower,
> enough to interfere
> 12:36  stonecrest| i see.. well thanks for the information, i will pass it
> back along to the openbox devs.
> 12:40  sasha| truthfuly, urxvt should not have an option for borderless at
> all, as there is no reliable way for application to implement it.
> Borderlesness should only be impolemented through Window Manager settings
>
> I guess I haven't checked if I can set the term as borderless through
> openbox instead of urxvt. Is this possible?

Well, it appears xorg used to set the hint that urxvt checks for, but
maybe it stopped doing so in 1.5.2. The next version of openbox will
explicitly set it. As a workaround you can add this line to
/etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy if it isn't there (it is for me),
_MOTIF_WM_INFO		root	arw

--
Mikael Magnusson