Firefox's workspace-hopping behavior

Jake LeMaster ssoundasleep at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 12:38:29 EDT 2008

If I have Firefox open in a workspace and click a link (in a Pidgin IM
window, for example) in a different workspace, Firefox is moved from the
workspace it's supposed to be in and imposes itself onto the workspace the
link was clicked in, causing me to have to manually send it back to its
previous workspace.

This is extremely annoying behavior that is addressed in at least some other
window managers. I know for sure that it doesn't happen with pekwm (by
default), and in the XFCE wm there's a setting (activate_action) that you
can set to "none" that will prevent this.

I've tried setting application autoproperties for Firefox in rc.xml, like
specifying which desktop FF should always be in (even though I don't want to
set such a thing; sometimes I have FF in workspace 2, sometimes in 3, I just
want it to *stay* in whatever space I launch it in) and setting focus to
"no", but neither worked.

Does anyone have a solution for this?