[openbox] Openbox XFCE integration problems

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Thu Mar 20 11:53:34 EDT 2008

Hi Parminder,

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 3:21 PM, parminder gupta
<gupta.parminder at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all let me say that Openbox3 is an amazing window manager. Per
> application setting along with support for multiple monitors practically
> blew me away.

:)

> But I am having some problems with integrating Openbox with XFCE. I am
> running the whole XFCE environment (xfdesktop, xfce4-panel) with xfwm4
> replaced with Openbox.

XFCE hasn't been deigned to play well with others so this isn't the
most tested environment for Openbox.  Your feedback is really helpful.
:)

> I am having the following issues:
>
> I run Evolution (need to connect to my office email) wrapped in Alltray so
> that it minimizes to the system tray. This works fine with xfwm4, but when
> running under Openbox, trying to minimize Evolution to system tray, will not
> remove the entry from taskbar in xfce4-panel.

I'm not familiar with Alltray, so I can't comment on this without
trying it out and seeing what is going on myself.  If you could put
this into the bug tracker, that'd be really helpful so I don't forget
to look at it before 3.4.7.  I've been quite busy lately so no time to
be working on Openbox stuff, so I'll have to defer comment for a bit.

> I cannot get Conky to play nice with Openbox under XFCE. I have tried
> setting the Conky window (I use the own_window option) type to both normal
> and desktop. When used with window_type=Desktop, conky gets hidden when I
> click anywhere else on the desktop. When used with window_type=normal, using
> the Show_desktop key binding in Openbox causes Conky to be minimized as well
> I know these issues may not really be related to Openbox, but I am hoping
> that someone here has found some solution to these issues.

I know what's going on here perfectly.  Most people, I guess, run
conky as a "desktop window" without a big desktop window like you have
with xfdesktop.  You can take the "Raise" action out of your rc.xml
file, for the "Desktop" context, and then clicking a desktop window
(like xfdesktop) won't raise it over others (like conky).  I'm not
sure if that's a change that should be reflected in the default rc.xml
or not.

Cheers,
Dana