[openbox] Re: I need help

Delcides F. Sousa Jr delcides at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:01:02 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Charles H. Tankersley <chtank at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I used the KDE desktop in PCLOS, I could easily set a link (icon) for
> any application to the desktop, but when I tried the same in openbox it
> would not work. Since my installation of TinyMe (I tested SAM-Linux first)
> about a month ago, I have installed a number of applications via Synaptic.
> These include QCad, Blender, inkscape, Xtreme, firefox, thunderbird, pysol,
> bluefish, and GIMP. For all I cannot find a way to set them on my desktop
> nor my tool bar at the bottom. This must be able to be done easily by a
> blind or novice person, otherwise I need to use KDE and not openbox. I have
> been going through your documentation looking for answers, but I find that
> the documentation uses language that I or any of our novice clients would
> never understand. We need to give clear examples in texk large enough for
> the vision impaired to see and the text must have all acronyms "spelled out"
> at least once so that we know for sure what you are talking about. Remember,
> the people who will be using openbox on older machines are totally novice,
> non-programmers, and are not command line at all.
>  Yours,
> chtank
>
> ote:

     Ok. We have to clear some concepts here: TinyMe uses a handful of
independent programs to build your desktop experience.
     As for the programs themselves and what they do:
     - Openbox: the window manager - draws the titlebar ( including
fonts and buttons) and borders around windows, controls position and
size and handles keyboard shortcuts and mouse clicks.
     - LXPanel: the toolbar at the bottom of your desktop
     - Idesk: the program that draws the icons on your desktop.

    Each one has its own configuration files - the tinyme web page
makes reference to "desktop control center"
(http://www.mypclinuxos.com/doku.php/tinyme:latestrelease), but not
being a user
I wouldn't know how far they went into integration.
     If you find that the control center doesn't work the way you want
or individual configuration is too difficult, you can try a program
named ROX ( http://roscidus.com/desktop/) - it will give you
drag-and-drop icons on the desktop, a toolbar and a file manager (
you'll ditch lxpanel and idesk). For a even more integrated approach,
you can try XFCE (www.xfce.org) - but it will cost a little more on
RAM ( still lighter than KDE, though). XFCE comes with its own window
manager, but it can be replaced by openbox.
      Feel free to contact me privately at delcides at gmail dot com
if you like.

Regards,

Delcides.