[openbox] number of desktops

Juergen Leising juergen.leising at gmx.de
Fri Jun 13 09:18:14 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 01:55:35PM +0200, Oliver Kraitschy wrote:

> I assume that when running openbox with gnome or xfce4, the number of
> desktops is set by something else than the wm, for example some settings
> daemon.

yes, but this does not work at all.  I believe the settings
deamon thinks it is to be done by openbox, and openbox thinks,
it is to be done by gnome. :-)

Any gconftool-2 --set is not possible, as it seems to me.
Any command in ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh, as proposed at

http://www.fedorawiki.de/index.php/Workarounds

does not work for me, either.

So I resort to something like

num_desktops=`/usr/bin/wmctrl -d | wc -l`
if test -n "$num_desktops"; then
  if test $num_desktops -eq 1; then
    echo "Enforcing 4 desktops... "
    /usr/bin/wmctrl -n 4
  fi
fi

in ~/.bashrc.

Don't laugh. I know that this is not really the right way to do it.
But anyway...

Bye, bye

Juergen