number of desktops

Ladanyi, Akos ladanyi at tmit.bme.hu
Thu Jun 12 17:17:19 EDT 2008

Hi,

Currently when openbox starts it somehow checks if the number of
desktops is set by another program. If it is set, then it uses that
number and not the one in the config file. I think this behavior is bad:
it should prefer the value set in the config file. Here are two examples
why:

1. I was using compiz with GNOME, which sets the number of desktops to
one. I wanted to switch to openbox, so I logged out, and choose the
GNOME/Openbox session in GDM. Logged in, and have one desktop (despite
that openbox is configured to have six).
Note that you can't change the number of desktops with the appropriate
utility of GNOME if you are not running metacity.

I also tried running metacity (metacity --replace &). Then I had four
desktops. But when going back to openbox (openbox --replace &) I still
got only one.

2. Xfce: same story. The solution here was to set the number of desired
desktops to six with the "Desktops and Margins" utility while runnig
xfwm4, and then kill xfwm4 and start openbox.

regards,
Akos