[openbox] sound?

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Mon Jan 28 00:56:53 EST 2008

On Dec 19, 2007 5:20 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz at madbat.mine.nu> wrote:

> Unfortunately I have a personal crisis right now, so I won't be able to
> work on this for at least a few weeks.  But I still think it's
> worthwhile, and doesn't necessarily make Openbox any less lightweight.

A few things in regard to this whole thread..

autostart.sh is not particularily useful if you use .xsession or
.xinitrc.  You might as well just exec openbox and ignore it.  However
it is *extremely* useful if you are running Openbox directly from GDM
as it provides a way to run stuff along with Openbox, on a per-user
basis.

Login/Logout hooks in the rc.xml is seriously not a good solution for
running things at "log in".  You can't tell when you are logging into
a new X session versus when you are being exec'd in an already running
X session - like on restart, or switching WMs.  That's why the
openbox-session script exists - it's something that is only run when
actually logging in, such as through GDM.

If you do find some time/energy to think about working on this, please
do so against the git repo, rather than against a 3.4 release.  I hope
your crisis works itself out.

cheers,
dana