[openbox] Openbox and evdev don't play nice.

Rafał Mużyło galtgendo at o2.pl
Sat Jan 12 15:13:55 EST 2008

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 10:11:59AM -0800, Ryan Tandy wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2008 7:45 AM, Rafał Mużyło <galtgendo at o2.pl> wrote:
> > Neither am I, but if your using Gentoo, evdev 1.2.0 and hal 0.5.10, you
> > probably want to change `input.xkb.rules = 'base'` to `input.xkb.rules =
> > 'evdev'` (that's done in the fdi file). Make sure no other program (i.e. Gnome, KDE, ROX) changes that.
>
> Actually, that change breaks my keyboard even worse. :(
>
> I'm still convinced it's openbox's fault - fluxbox and twm both work
> with no extra configuration and no encouragement.  It's not that
> there's something it's not changing so much as there's something it
> *is* changing, because even in a raw X session with no WM everything
> is OK.
Well, as I'm using Openbox with rox-session on Gentoo with evdev 1.2.0
and hal 0.5.10, I don't think openbox is the problem. Also I meant
`change `input.xkb.rules = 'base'` to `input.xkb.rules =
'evdev'` in the fdi file, restart hal, go to X and run setxkbmap`.
Reasons are following
- evdev driver is meant to work with evdev xkbrules
- I'm using evdev with a standard keyboard, but I still need to run
  setxkbmap to get repeat on left arrow (layout is already correct)
Futhermore I've got x11-base/xorg-server-1.4.0.90 and
x11-apps/xinit-1.0.5-r1 both with hal useflags. And as fluxbox and twm
work, check if you aren't running something in openbox autostart or your
standard xsession.
And post what does `setxkbmap -print` prints while keyboard works and
while it does not.