[openbox] [3.4.4] Xinerama window placement/per-application settings/moving XMMS

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Sun Feb 10 19:17:33 EST 2008

Hi Bjoern,

On 2/10/08, Bjoern Schliessmann <chronoss at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>  I'm using Openbox on a 2x2 Xinerama setup. I just upgraded to 3.4.4
>  (Debian backports) from 3.3 (Debian stable) and face the following
>  problems:
>
>  1.
>  Xinerama window placement has become very problematic. We've got an
>  application that opens four windows, each on every Xinerama head.
>  With 3.4.4 Openbox forces three windows to open on the lower left
>  and one on the upper right ... with 3.3 version, it works as
>  expected. Is there a way to modify Openbox' window positioning?

We fixed some xinerama things in 3.4.6, so if you could give 3.4.6.1 a
try.. that might be enlightening.

>  2.
>  Recognisation of windows for per-application settings seems to be
>  broken. Example: xprop for my app "abcd" shows:
>
>  WM_CLASS(STRING) = "my-abcd", "my-abcd"
>
>  With Openbox 3.3, the following per-app setting is always applied
>  successfully:
>
>  <application name="my-abcd"> ... </application>
>
>  With 3.4.4, this fails. This however does work:
>
>  <application name="abcd"> ... </application>
>
>  But none of the X resources has the exact value "abcd" -- the
>  executable's file name is "abcd", though.
>
>  But the executable didn't change, it still has WM_CLASS set as
>  above ... It's reproducible, with the exact same configuration
>  files and setup. Is there some misunderstanding on my side, or is
>  this fixed in a more recent version?

This I am not sure..  In 3.4 we are using globbing instead of
"substring matching", so "abcd" shouldn't work, tho "*abcd" should to
me knowledge..  Can you open a bug report for this?

>  3.
>  With Openbox 3.3, XMMS can't be moved between Xinerama heads at all.
>  With 3.4.4, I'm only able to move it quite freely on the upper
>  right and lower left heads; it won't fully go on the other two
>  heads (I just can't move it over the border fully). Audacity showed
>  this problem, too. Is it a problem of these applications or of
>  Openbox?

Try moving them there with an Openbox binding (Alt-Left-Drag in the
default config, or the like).  If you just click and drag (without the
Alt), then XMMS is moving itself and limiting its position itself.

Dana