[openbox] Per-App Keybindings

Knute knuteh at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 12:03:58 EST 2008

--- Dana Jansens <danakj at orodu.net> wrote:

> > Just in thinking about it, it would seem that all the code is in
> place
> >  for it.
> >
> >  I mean, you have the App recognition code already, and the
> keybinding
> >  code.  It would seem that all that is needed is to add the
> >  <application>blah</application>  tags to the keybindings.
> >
> >  Hrmmmm...  Maybe it's time to get source and see.  :)
>
> Hm, I guess that would be one way to do it.  My idea is to have tags,
> both static and dynamic.
>
> That is.. you can define window Foo to be tagged Bar in the rc.xml
> with per-app settings, but you can also use an action to tag/untag
> windows on screen.
>
> Then, the action would specify a tag which would go to any windows
> tagged as such.  The tag could be shown in the titlebar I think.
>

> dana

I can see how that would be nice for grouping certain windows together,
though, I think that we are talking about 2 different things.

I use <Ctrl><End> to move windows to the lower right hand corner of my
screen.   For tvtime, as an example, I want to use <Ctrl><End> to move
it to the lower right hand corner of the screen AND resize it, but I
don't necessarily want to resize say a terminal window.

I don't follow quite how these tags will accomplish that, unless you
use the tags in place of the default application stuff from X.  A
simpler way would be to set the default tag as one of those application
stuff that X already uses.

Knute