Keybind problem (similar to the evdev one)

Edwin Chow e.chow3 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 10 09:00:28 EST 2008

Hi, I've been using openbox for a little while now and its great. I first used it on xubuntu but now I've switched over to arch linux. There is a weird problem that happens with some of the keyboard shortcuts when X and openbox-session has started. I am using a Microsoft Internet Keyboard and have quite a few applications that are binded to some of my XF86 keys (eg XF86Standby, XF86Calculator etc). These keys refuse to work properly until I reconfigure from the root-menu.

There are a few more quirks to this problem. The first entry in the rc.xml file which binds to an XF86 key actually does work, but it launches ALL applications with an XF86 keybind. This is a section of my rc.xml:

        gcalctool

        /home/edwin/Scripts/addalbum

        xscreensaver-command -activate

        thunar

In this case when openbox-session first starts pressing XF86Calculator would execute all 4 applications (that is until I reconfigure from the root menu).

Also, adding xbindkeys in my autostart.sh completely screws up the keyboard, and i have to remove it from the autostart.sh before my keyboard works properly again (although I am still able to stop X with ctrl alt backspace).
I have read about the new hal and evdev problem but I am not sure whether this is related or not. Here is my keyboard section from xorg.conf in any case:
Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier	"Keyboard1"
    Driver  	"kbd"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"