Font size of desktop menu and openbox-xdgmenu

Stephan renegat3 at gmx.de
Sun Dec 14 12:53:10 EST 2008

Hello!

Using Ubuntu 8.04; openbox package from Ubuntu; openbox-session;
gnome-settings-manager; GDM; Gnome installed.

1. The font size of the desktop menu is very small after a fresh (re)boot.
When I restart openbox (via menu), the font size gets, set as configured in
Gnome, bigger. This is not a big problem, but a bit annoying. The reason for
this is that gnome-settings-daemon needs a while to set everything. Meanwhile
openbox started and though everything else is perfect, the menu font is not
set. Changeing the font size in obconf does work, until I restart openbox
and the font gets even bigger - looks like about two sizes (8>10;10>12;...).
I added a "sleep 5" right after "gnome-settings-daemon &" in the autostart.sh,
which does the trick. However, the sleep time is soley dependent on the speed
of the PC. Since I put this on a Linux LiveCD, which will run on many
differnt machines, this is not a very good option.
Any idea on how to fix this? Anyone?

2. I came across a quirk with openbox-xdgmenu.
While "openbox-xdgmenu /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu" works nicely with
the locale de_DE.UTF-8, it does not with en_US.UTF-8. I only get a tiny box,
hinting there should be a menu.

# ~/.xsession-errors --->

Entity: line 179: parser error : xmlParseEntityRef: no name
<menu id="xdg-menu-Sound & Video" label="Sound & Video">
                          ^
Entity: line 179: parser error : xmlParseEntityRef: no name
<menu id="xdg-menu-Sound & Video" label="Sound & Video">
                                                ^
Openbox-Message: Invalid output from pipe-menu 'openbox-xdgmenu
/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu'

<---

I get the same error in Ubuntu 8.10 x64, too!

Stephan