[openbox] [RELEASE] Openbox 3.3.994 released

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Fri May 25 20:50:02 EDT 2007

On 5/25/07, Clay Barnes <clay.barnes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20:18 Fri 25 May     , Dana Jansens wrote:
> > On 5/25/07, Clay Barnes <clay.barnes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >Well, I've looked through the docs I could find (as well as the source
> > >tree) and I can't seem to locate how to undo a change in behaviour
> > >between the old Etch package and the new rc.  Here's my xml snippet:
> > >
> > >  <keybind key="W-KP_0">        <action name="DesktopPrevious"/>
> > ></keybind>
> > >  <keybind key="W-comma">       <action name="DesktopPrevious"/>
> > ></keybind>
> > >  <keybind key="W-KP_Decimal">  <action name="DesktopNext"/>
> > ></keybind>
> > >  <keybind key="W-period">      <action name="DesktopNext"/>
> > ></keybind>
> > >
> > >This section used to cycle through my desktops, showing each as I
> > >crossed them (which helped in finding apps on other desktops).  Now I
> > >have to let go of my Super key and go to a desktop to see it.
> >
> > That change was discussed in here:
> > http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Help:Upgrading_to_3.4#Desktop_cycling_dialog
>
> Oh.  Hm.  That's embarrassingly easy to find.  Sorry to spam the list.
> I read that whole thing before I upgraded and somehow missed that
> section.  Interesting issue the link in that section brings up.  I
> assume that for the same reason, my peeking technique is impossible?

Yeah, it's a problem with grabbing the keyboard, and therefore knowing
when you release the modifier key, and moving focus at the same time.
It could possibly be done with some messy hacks but I think it would
be really racey. I'm hoping people decide to standardize on something
in the future, because I liked having that stuff too.

> Also, there was a patch in the bugzilla to enable a theme setting that
> hid all window decorations by default.  Did that make it into 3.4?  I
> don't see any mention of it in the upgrade document, but it was
> something I'd really like to see get into the mainline releases.

You can do that easily with the new rules for per-app settings. The
example given here actually does that with its first rule:

http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Help:Upgrading_to_3.4#Example_of_per-app_settings

Maybe that should go in the FAQ too. :)

Cheers,
Dana