[openbox] support questions

Clay Barnes clay.barnes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 02:42:10 EDT 2007

On 20:28 Wed 21 Mar     , Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On 20/03/07, Clay Barnes <clay.barnes at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Cool,
> >> well i've been trying to find a good guide or at least more information
> >> about configuring my desktops as a 3 x 3 grid instead of 1 line.
> >> Unfortunatly both the docs and the faq has almost no information about
> >> such a configuration , except that it has something to do with the pager.
> >>
> >> Can anyone , either give me more information , a sample or perhaps a
> >> good link ?
> >
> >While OB3 doesn't configure arrangment of desktops (that's the pager's
> >job), it would be a fairly small change to the code to add syntax for
> >something like this in rc.xml:
> ><desktops>
> >  <desktop_rows>4</desktop_rows>
> >  <desktop_cols>4</desktop_cols>
> ></desktops>
> >
> >If you feel like coding it, it'd be a nice way to get your feet wet
> >with OB3 code.  If not, you could file a feature request in the
> >bugzilla.
> >
> >Or you could just run a pager.  :-P
> >
> >I ended up just having a single row of desktops because I run a *very*
> >lean system and I didn't like having a pager on my desktop (or having
> >to open and close one with each startup) just for such a small
> >difference for me.
>
> It is, in fact, not very simple to implement once you consider the
> fact that putting said configuration in rc.xml makes people running a
> pager unable to use it to configure desktop layout.
>
> --
> Mikael Magnusson

I assume that (1) people using this option would do so instead of a
pager, and (2) OB3 would only try to set the desktop arrangment once,
so a pager could change it to what it wanted after OB3 loaded.  The
only conflict would be if the pager loaded first, and OB3 changed the
pager's settings upon its load---but if OB3 conflicted in arrangment,
it would be no worse than if the same situation happened with someone
using a pager config that had a different number of desktops in a
current version of the rc.xml.  Also, perhaps OB3 could test to see if
there are already multiple desktops (a sign of a running pager) and if
so, not try to change them.

Nontrivial, but not very complex, either.

--
Clay Barnes