[openbox] [incompatibility] Game OpenGL window hangs with certain focus switches

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Fri Jun 15 22:32:44 EDT 2007

On 6/15/07, Bernhard Stoeckner <elven at swordcoast.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 June 2007, Dana Jansens wrote:
> > I know you tried this before, but does removing your "Client" context
> > mouse bindings affect this bit of behavior? They can mess up a badly
> > written application apparently.
>
> This did not fix it.
>
> However - is it possible that ob tells NWN it hasn't got focus, but NWNs focus
> detection is .. buggy? Maybe it thinks it hasn't got focus, and as such
> doesn't even bother to render.

We've actually put a lot of effort into making sure focus never moves
during a keyboard grab (unless some other app has the grab which we
cant control) because applications often ignore those events and end
up confused about having focus or not.  Openbox doesn't "tell it that
it's focused or not" though, it just moves focus and the X server
tells it.

> Is there some way to "fake" foreground all the time?

No, I don't think so. It's controlled by the X server, of which
Openbox is just another client.