[incompatibility] Game OpenGL window hangs with certain focus switches

Bernhard 'elven' Stoeckner elven at swordcoast.net
Mon Jun 11 05:55:00 EDT 2007

First off: This seems to be a incompatiblity with Openbox and Neverwinter
Nights. I have not noticed this behaviour with any other opengl application
or window manager combination. It happens with any openbox release from the
3.x branch, and it happens only with Neverwinter Nights, ran natively and in
windowed mode, on a Nvidia 7600GT SLI Xinerama 3-head setup, and
mouse-has-focus.

Sequential problem description:
* NWN (the game) is active and running in SDL/opengl windowed mode
* Switch to some other window (on some other screen, though that does not
matter as to my testing) by leaving the game and click somewhere else
* Re-focus NWN by entering the window. I can type in the GL window now, and it
works accordingly
* Click somewhere in the game window:
-> NWN hangs instantly, no graphic updates are done (and it timeouts
eventually, since its singlethreaded)

Workaround:
However, if i *move* the game window, graphic updates resume (some lock gets
removed?) and all input actions that happened while the deadlock held get
executed.
This works 9/10 of the time.
Sometimes, though, NWN locks completely and updates just happen WHILE moving
(eg, holding the titlebar and dragging the window across the screen(s)). As
soon as the window stops moving, graphics lock up again.

I tried various nvidia driver packages, with no differences in behaviour.

Anyone got any idea? It's annoying as hell.

Regards,
Bernhard