Issues with Openbox 3.4

Matt Manzel mmanzel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 07:04:52 EDT 2007

I wasn't around for the pre-releases but a friend told me about the 3.4
release and I was surprised to see so many changes! Looks good. While
things were overall better, I have some growing pains:

window frame. I double-checked my configuration and everything appears
right. I thought I would check here before I post a bug report.

* Focus Grabbing Issues

** Firefox (on Ubuntu)
When I launch Firefox while another application has focus, Firefox opens
in the background and blinks at me. I would prefer it comes to the front
and takes the focus when it is opened.

** Tilda (tilda.sf.net)
Tilda is a drop-down terminal in similar style to the "~" console in
several popular FPS games (Quake, Unreal Tournament, etc). When tilda is
activated, it no longer takes the focus like it is supposed to.

** Parent and child windows
Parent/child windows of the same application don't always behave as
expected. For example, if you have the Gedit 'Find' (child) window open,
when you cycle applications and then bring it to the front the Gedit
parent window is not also brought to the font and may be hidden under
other open windows. I think the two windows should remain next to each
other in the z-order when changing focus.

* XML Whitespace removal
I am not sure if this is Openbox or OBConf but some application removed
all the whitespace from my rc.xml file. I understand this can be a speed
improvement, but I cannot easily manage the file when everything is a
smooshed together. Does anyone know of an easy way to add back newlines
to the file so I can tidy it up by hand?

Thanks for any help or comments.
--
Matt